It is my childhood dream to learn ice skating. I always sit on my couch and admire those beautiful skaters performing on an icy stage. Those stunning poses and movements always make me feel breathless every single time.
However, due to some unavoidable situations, I cannot pursuit this dream when I was little. In fact, I have no time to go on to the ice ring and practice for this sport. It is only until I get older that I can find time and money to go back to my dream.
I can deny for the fact that learning to ice skate is very hard, especially when you start it at a very old age, passing both of your prime and the time you are free the most. However, with your aspiration and determination, there is nothing possible, let’s alone learning to play ice skating. You might not be able to reach the professional level but you are still able to master some movements. And most importantly, you will have a lot of fun with it.
Here are some things you need to do when you want to learn ice skating:
1. Find A Place To Learn It
- First of all, you need to find a place where there is a sheet of ice, which is suitable for skating.
- You can easily find an icy ring in big cities. However, it might be a little bit harder to find it in the countryside.
- You can simply search for one on the Internet, through phonebook or ask your friends if they know about such a facility.
- While you have a lot of options of the place where you can learn ice skating, you need to make a decision after some careful considerations.
- First of all, you should choose one which is the closest to you or where you work. That would help you to save some times you spend to go there.
- In addition, you should not choose a place which is so crowded. In case you are learning, you might skate very slow, which will block other people’s ways. In addition, ice skating in a crowded area will increase your chance of getting injuries.
2. Find A Class
- After you find the place where you want to learn ice skating, you need to contact the management team of the ice rink and ask for any classes or private classes that it offers you.
- While you are on the phone with the management team, try to seek for as many information as possible. These pieces of information include what classes are available to you, when you can start learning and how much you need to pay for one class.
- You might see yourself phoning around, asking from various facilities. You should do so and research as much as you can before you can come up with a class that has a suitable timetable and is right for your level.
- You might consider between a group lesson and a private lesson. Both of these types of learning can offer you their own pros and cons. You need to consider all of those carefully before coming up with the best style of learning that you will pursuit later on.
3. Should You Go For Group Lessons Or Private Lessons?
In the next section, I will break down the pros and cons of group lesson and private lesson so that you will have a better idea of what you might take.
To start, I will show you the pros and cons of taking a group lesson.
- You will be put into a group of people with the same level and of course, the same aspiration. Therefore, you would have a great chance to meet new friends. Also, it is a good chance for you to learn from everybody else as well. You can also take note about their mistake and try not to encounter them yourself.
- Secondly, the cost of taking a group lesson is much cheaper than taking a private lesson. You can expect to pay around 50 to 60 dollars per each class.
- Another advantage of taking a group lesson is that you don’t have to worry about paying to rent the ice rink for your learning session as everything is covered with the tuition fee.
Now let’s talk about taking a private class.
- With this type of ice skating class, you have to pay a higher price, around 80 to 100 dollars per hour. However, you can receive the full attention from your trainer and he would be able to fix your mistake immediately.
- My general advice is that you should take some private lessons first to learn the basic quicker. After you know what you are expected in ice skating lessons, you can switch to learn in a group to have you save some money later on.
Here are some of the most important steps and tips you need to do if you want to learn ice skating. This sport is quite hard, especially when you don’t have enough time practicing and your body is not good for this sport anymore.
However, as long as you are determined and focused on what you want to achieve, you would be able to learn it and perform it well on stage. If you are still hesitating, this is the good time to take on a new challenge and I assure that you will never regret your decision.